Some may not think of Pittsburgh as a destination capital of the world, but as a native, I know that it is a hidden gem of the United States. Ranked many times as the country’s most livable city, there are countless things to do, see, and experience in the Steel City. Here are some of my favorite places to explore!
Places to Go:
- North Shore: As a proud Pittsburgher, one of the first things I mention to people is the great
sports teams in the City of Champions. Head on down to North Shore where you can take in a Pirates Game at the best MLB Stadium in America, PNC Park. Be charmed by the stunning view of Pittsburgh’s skyline, three rivers, and Roberto Clemente Bridge from any seat in the park. Just a few steps away is Heinz Field; where you can take in a Steelers game sporting the black and yellow. Looking for a little more culture? Check out The Andy Warhol Museum or the Mattress Factory, a contemporary art museum with site-specific installations spread throughout a warehouse.
- Station Square: If you want a more typical tourist experience, this part of town is the place to be. Hop on the incline and venture up to Mt. Washington where you can take in the unmatched views of the city. Head over to Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for some delicious seafood, or take a trip down the incline to indulge in the offerings at the Grand Concourse. Looking for something fun to do with the kids? Book a Just Ducky tour and learn about the city by land and water.
Where to Eat:
- Strip District: Don’t be fooled by the gritty appearance of The Strip, it is any foodie’s paradise! Wander through the meat and fish markets or dine at Lidia’s for some traditional Italian fare. Pop in Primanti Bros. for their signature sandwich donning coleslaw and French Fries or opt for some cheesy goodness at the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company. The selection and variety of cuisines that can be found are endless!
- South Side: If you looking for a night on the town, search no further than South Side Works. Grab dinner at the Hofbrauhaus then catch a movie at the local theater or indulge in retail therapy at the numerous shops. Walk over to East Carson Street which a mecca of bars, restaurants, and boutiques. Whatever vibe you want can be found on this street!
Where to Shop:
- Shadyside: Searching for a younger, trendier crowd? Shadyside is the place for you. Close to the campuses of University of Pittsburgh, Chatham University, and Carnegie Mellon University, this is a vibrant place to be. Saunter down Walnut Street and stop in at the numerous upscale boutiques, shops, and galleries. My personal favorites are EB Pepper and Pittsburgh Jeans Company!
- Lawrenceville: The up-and-coming spot in the city is Lawrenceville, less than 3 miles from downtown. With some of the hottest boutiques, check out Pavement, No. 14 Boutique, and even Jack + Jules for the man in your life!
Next time you are looking for a trip and don’t want to break the bank, consider Pittsburgh as a vacation destination!
By Amy Marchlen, 2015-16 Topics & Trends staff member