Ladies! Grab your hats, we’re off to the races.
The Kentucky Derby has captured viewers world-wide on the first Saturday of May for many years. Over 155,000 spectators will travel to Louisville to witness “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.” The history and tradition of this classic sport are celebrated by women near and far with spectacular fashion dating back to the 1920s. Colorful wide-brimmed hats are always worn with flowers, feathers, bows, embellishments, patterns, cages and more which is said to bring good luck to the gamblers present at the race. This style watch has become one of the most fashion forward event for each decade.
This year, JLC Associate Derby Committee is hosting an exclusive viewing party of the Kentucky Derby at The Ogden Chicago. Our big event only 2 weeks away, so it’s time to channel your inner Southern belle and start planning your signature attire! Thanks to Now You Know Chicago, we have the insider scoop on where to shop for the best Kentucky Derby hat in Chicago.
- Hats Plus – 4706 W Irving Park Rd
- Vintage Underground – 1834 W North Ave
- Shrine Haberdashy – 47 E Oak
- Loreta Corsetti Millinery – 200 E Delaware Pl
- Tonya Gross Millinery – 1653 W Fulton St
- Secret Beauty Hats – 222 Merchandise Mart
- Forme – Online or by appointment
- Gold Coast Couture – 1 E Delaware Pl
- JG Hats – Online
- Forever 21 – 34 S State St; 540 N Michigan; 865 W North Ave
- Target – 2656 N Elston Ave; 1154 S Clark St; 1 S State St; 4466 N Broadway Ave
- Hollywood Mirror – 812 N Dayton St (near the Clark/Belmont intersection)
- Ragstock – 812 W Belmont St; 1433 N Milwaukee Ave; (also in Schaumburg & Oak Brook)
It’s a safe bet to say… you won’t want to miss this party on race day!
By Sarah Ruth, 2016-17 Topics & Trends staff member